These ideas have been super beneficial to me in my life at least in so much as I’ve managed to bumble my way through thus far. It’s nice to have a mental framework that helps keep you in a good place when the world turns upside down.
Here goes …
- Being alive today is something to be celebrated. What am I going to do with this new day I’ve been given?
- Pick my priorities carefully. Don’t let the world do this for me. And when I have them, defend them.
- Learn something new every day.
- Write a lot. Writing helps me think.
- Read more than I write. Learning from the successes and mistakes of other people can save me much pain. (Nobody successful got that way without failing a lot.)
- Make time for self reflection. What were some of the key decisions I made today? How did I do? What could I have done differently?
- Mistakes are things to be learned from. Not things to derail me for large amounts of time. Everything is fine.
- Never attribute to malice what could just as easily be incompetence. This seems to make me less grumpy. 🙂
- Be a good listener.
- I like the beginner’s mind idea – “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, in the expert’s mind there are few.” The quicker I get to solutioning, the sooner I leave the land of possibilities …
- The mindset I want : “I know I’m right.” -> “How do I know I’m right?”.
- Being able to change ones mind about a thing is a mark of intelligence. Don’t sweat it.
Things that make me happy
- Being around people I care about.
- Helping others.
A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness – Albert Einstein
- Called “Derectives” by Derek Sivers, Tools of Titans
- Shoshin (Beginner’s Mind) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin