Skip to the content
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp cayenne add more if you like your indian food spicy!
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1½ cups of dried brown or red lentils
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped + extra for garnish
- On your instant pot, press the ‘Sauté’ button, add heat the oil.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, garam masala, cayenne, and mustard seeds and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Hit the ‘Cancel’ button and add lentils, water, salt, chopped tomatoes and mix to combine.
- Cover the instant pot with the lid, and close the pressure valve. Press the ‘Pressure Cookl’ button and set the cooking time to 10 minutes.
- After the timer sounds, wait 10 mins before opening the pressure valve.
- After 10 minutes, open the valve and stand back!!!!
- Mix the lentil mixture and add the chopped cilantro.
- Stir to combine, and serve over basmati rice or with naan (regular or garlic), and top it with fresh cilantro.
- 2 1/2 L water
- 2 1/4 C green split peas ; dried
- 2 onion ; chopped finely
- 2 celery ribs ; chopped finely
- 2 carrots ; chopped finely
- 2 potatoes ; peeled and chopped
- 4 bouillon cubes
- In a large stock pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the vegetables are soft. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup a bit to create a creamy, smoother consistency.